Nuance® Dragon® for MAC® Medical
INCREASE YOUR PRODUCTIVITY
Dragon Dictate Medical for Mac lets clinicians dictate faster and more accurately than ever before. With up to 99% accuracy right out of the box, and more than 90 medical vocabularies to choose from, Dragon Dictate Medical for Mac’s increased speed and accuracy lets clinicians spend more time with patients, improving both quality of care and patient satisfaction. Dragon Dictate Medical for Mac adapts to the user’s voice and words used to deliver better recognition results over time, and can be personalized with custom vocabulary words and commands so that dictated text looks that way it should, every time. Add a more powerful correction interface and easy proofing tools such as Dragon Dictate Medical for Mac’s Text-to-Speech feature, and medical documentation is more easily completed.
IMPROVE YOUR PRACTICE
Physicians who use Dragon Dictate Medical for Mac report that it significantly improves their enjoyment of practicing medicine. Using Dragon Dictate Medical for Mac results in higher levels of reimbursement than notes built by point-and-click EHR templates alone. More complete, accurate documentation improves coding effectiveness and provides richer detail per patient, giving clinicians greater confidence to code at higher levels than with an EHR system alone. And practice volume increases with faster, more accurate responses, which reduces time spent on documentation, allowing clinicians to see more patients and increase practice revenue and profitability. Finally, Dragon Dictate Medical for Mac helps clinicians use their time more effectively and get home in time for dinner, thus improving physician quality of life.
DRAGON SPEAKS YOUR LANGUAGE
As a clinician, having the correct vernacular for the way you practice is essential; Dragon Dictate Medical for Mac contains vocabularies covering more than 90 medical specialties and subspecialties, which ensures proper clinical documentation, and allows physicians to dictate in their own words, generating “once and done” documentation, which they can edit and review. Dragon Dictate Medical for Mac uses the most advanced speech recognition technology, a brand new speech engine, and sophisticated acoustic models and language models, so Dragon Dictate Medical for Mac understands the terminology used by medical professionals.
DRAGON WORKS JUST FOR YOU, ANYWHERE
Using Dragon Dictate Medical for Mac ensures clinicians document care more completely and “in their own words.” Clinicians using Dragon solutions have experienced substantially greater satisfaction than clinicians who use an EHR without Dragon. Dragon Dictate Medical for Mac also allows clinicians to develop powerful speech commands and macros, which automate navigation and other repetitive tasks, saving countless clicks and keystrokes. Wideband Bluetooth support delivers outstanding wireless performance with no training required, or dictate into a Nuance-approved digital voice recorder or use the free Dragon Recorder app to capture high-quality audio files using an Apple iPhone, iPad or iPod touch (4th gen). Dragon Dictate Medical for Mac will transcribe the recorded audio files. These mobile recording capabilities will capture thoughts from anywhere, at any time, while they are still fresh to produce detailed, high-quality medical notes, eliminating the need for transcription services.
Dragon for Mac Medical Medical, v5 Features and benefits
Enable greater productivity for clinicians by using voice:
- Dictate 3x faster than typing, with up to 99% accuracy
- Make fewer edits and get more work done
- Spend more time with patients
Accuracy for medical terminology:
- Enhanced speech engine with sophisticated acoustic and language models ensures Dragon for Mac Medical quickly and accurately captures specific medical terminology
- Vocabularies covering more than 90 medical specialties and subspecialties, ensure proper clinical documentation
- Dragon for Mac Medical adapts to the user’s voice and words to deliver better recognition results over time
Support the way you work on medical and other documents:
- Use your voice to create and edit both appointments and medical record notes directly into EHR and other applications, improving productivity and quality
- Although Dragon for Mac Medical works with virtually any EHR, it fully supports MacPractice, version 5 for direct text control and dictation for a complete user experience on the Mac
- Accurately dictate and edit documents, or control your Mac all by voice within popular web, email and desktop applications such as Microsoft Word 2016 or Gmail
- Easily create custom word lists and macros for frequently used text, giving you the ?exibility to customize Dragon for Mac Medical for the way you work. In addition, you can import and export your custom word lists.
- Quickly and easily create custom voice commands to insert frequently-used text. Save significant time when speaking a simple command to generate the full text of a standard reply, a signature block, or other boilerplates.
- Automate business processes with time-saving workflows. Create AppleScript®s, Automator Workflows, or shell scripts and let Dragon for Mac Medical activate them by voice—automate simple workflows or multi-step business processes via simple voice commands.
Powerful transcription of recordings into text:
- Capture thoughts while they are still fresh—anywhere, anytime—to produce detailed, high-quality medical notes. Great for busy, onthe-go clinicians.
- Easily transform your dictation into text by using a Nuance-approved digital voice recorder or the free Dragon Recorder app to capture high-quality audio files using an Apple® iPhone®, iPad® or iPod® touch (4th gen and up)
- Accurately transcribe a prerecorded audio file or podcast of a single speaker’s voice with the same accuracy for medical terminology as when processing your own voice
- Easily proofread medical documents with the Text-to- Speech feature which enables Dragon for Mac Medical to read back your text
Choose your microphone option for freedom and flexibility
With automatic microphone detection, Dragon will conveniently show you which microphones are available for you to use. With Dragon for Mac Medical you can also use multiple audio device types within the same profile, enabling you to easily switch to another microphone while keeping all your personalized preferences for accuracy and formatting. This is useful if, for example, you use a USB mic at home, a wireless mic at work and your Mac’s built-in mic when you’re on the go. You have the option to use:
- Microphones built into all MacBook®, MacBook Air®, MacBook Pro®, and iMac® computers: Dictate documents and speak commands directly into your Mac without using a headset for optimal flexibility and convenience
- Wireless Bluetooth® mic: Use a Nuance-certified Bluetooth headset microphone for outstanding wireless performance and the freedom to move while working on your computer
- Any other Nuance-approved microphone: See support.nuance. com/compatibility for more information
Easy to get started, easy to master
Dragon for Mac Medical makes it easy to get started with speech recognition and to become proficient quickly with regular use. It’s also simple to explore more advanced features that can boost your productivity even further.
- Fast, easy set-up has you using speech recognition in no time
- Helpful tutorials make it easy to become productive right away
- An intuitive design provides easy access to a rich and powerful feature set for ever-increasing productivity gains
- Additional help with in-context guidance at any time, gives not only on-the-spot hints but also helps you to learn essential commands over time
Spend more time with patients:
- Provide richer patient details with greater accuracy, faster than with an EHR system alone
- Faster, more accurate response reduces documentation time and allows clinicians to see more patients, increasing practice revenue and profitability
- Helps maintain HIPAA patient confidentiality, a critical requirement for any practice, by encrypting and keeping all information relevant to dictation services encrypted and on the local machine
Dragon for Mac Medical Medical, v5 includes an updated speech recognition engine, providing up to a 15% accuracy improvement over v4, so clinicians get documentation done even faster and more accurately than ever. With updated medical vocabularies, clinicians also get improved recognition accuracy for the latest medical terminology to stay current with their appointment or medical record notes dictated directly into their EHR. Clinicians who upgrade to Dragon for Mac Medical Medical can easily transfer their existing profiles and customizations, while enjoying support for the latest OS X® and applications, as well as an enhanced user interface. Dragon for Mac Medical Medical continues to offer enhancements to streamline the documentation workflow so clinicians can spend less time typing and more time with patients.
Support for OS X El Capitan (10.11)
Support for OS X El Capitan (10.11), in addition to OS X Yosemite (10.10) and OS X Mavericks (10.9).
Updated medical vocabularies
Better performance and improved recognition and accuracy for over 90 medical specialties.
Achieve even better accuracy
Dragon for Mac Medical Medical provides improved accuracy over version 4.x (15% out of the box accuracy improvement over v4 and a 35% increase over v3), with optimization for the latest speech recognition technology and enhanced support for more accents.
Improved support for internal microphones for freedom and flexibility
Enhanced accuracy in using microphones built into all MacBook®, MacBook Air®, MacBook Pro®, and iMac® computers. Dictate documents and speak commands directly into your Mac without using a headset for optimal flexibility and convenience.
Get enhanced support for more accents
Dragon for Mac Medical offers improved recognition of Canadian, SE Asian, Indian, and Australian English accents.
Gain powerful voice control in Word 2016
Dragon for Mac Medical provides support for Word 2016 with Full Text Control. Built-in commands let you effortlessly mix talking and typing.
Save transcribed files as Microsoft® Word documents
Transcription results can now be saved as .RTF or Microsoft Word format and opened in your application of choice. Previously, transcription results appeared in the Notepad, meaning you had to copy and paste them into the desired application.
Enjoy a more intuitive user experience
Dragon for Mac Medical appears in the OS X menu bar, making all features easily accessible from a single menu. You can now change profiles right from the menu as well as instantly access preferences and tools to improve recognition. Dragon for Mac features a newly redesigned Status Window that suits OS X El Capitan and OS X Yosemite and is even easier to use because of a new guidance feature which displays the most common next steps relative to the actions you’re taking at that moment.
Select items in any menu by using your voice. Menu walking works just like clicking a mouse —say “click File Menu” and the File menu opens, say “click New File” and a new file opens.
Nuance® Dragon® for MAC® Medical - Version 5
Dragon speech recognition Dragon Dictate Medical for Mac Version 5 updated medical vocabularies deliver improved recognition and accuracy for over 90 medical specialties and subspecialties. It is important that you select the correct vocabulary. Using a specialized medical vocabulary that covers the cases you see in your medical practice will offer you the highest recognition and productivity gains. Selecting a non-medical vocabulary or the medical vocabulary of a different specialty can have a significant impact on your recognition accuracy.
Supported disciplines and specialties - US
The US English medical vocabularies are tailored to the spellings and word use of customers in the United States and Canada and support the following disciplines and specialties:
General English: Non-medical vocabulary for dictating emails, letters, etc.
General Medical: A broad, non-specific medical vocabulary covering a wide range of medical specialties. Select this model if no other choice is applicable to you.
- Allergy and Immunology
– Pain Medicine
– Addiction Psychiatry
– Case Management
– Social Worker
– Cardiovascular Disease
– Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology
– Interventional Cardiology
– Pediatric Dentistry
– Oral and Facial Surgery
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Internal Medicine
Internal Medicine Subspecialties:
– EMG Examination
– Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Metabolism
– Geriatric Medicine
– Infectious Disease
– Medical Microbiology
– Medical Toxicology
– Pulmonary Disease
- Medical Education and Writing
– Neurodevelopmental Disabilities
– Neuromuscular Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
Obstetrics and Gynecology Subspecialties:
– Fetal Medicine
– Blood Bank and Transfusion
– Developmental Behavioral Pediatrics
– Neonatal and Perinatal Medicine
– Pediatric Cardiology
– Pediatric Gastroenterology
– Pediatric Otolaryngology
– Pediatric Pathology
– Pediatric Pulmonology
– Pediatric Rheumatology
– Pediatric Transplant Hepatology
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Plastic Surgery
– Diagnostic Radiology
– Nuclear Medicine
– Radiation Oncology
– Radiation Therapy
– Vascular and Interventional Radiology
- Sleep Lab
- Speech and Language Pathology
- Spinal Cord Injury Medicine
– Bariatric Surgery
– Breast Surgery
– Cardiac Surgery
– Cardiothoracic Surgery
– Oral and Facial Surgery
– Thoracic Surgery
– Transplant Hepatology
– Vascular Surgery
- Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine
Recommended System Requirements:
- CPU: Intel® Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz or faster processor - Intel Core i3, i5 or i7 recommended
- Free hard disk space: 8GB (16GB for download)
- Supported Operating Systems: OS X® Mavericks (10.9) or OS X Yosemite (10.10) or OS X El Capitan (10.11)
- RAM: 4GB, 8GB+ recommended
- USB2.0/3.0 port for product installation (for physical product)
- Built-in microphone or a Nuanceapproved microphone. Some older devices are no longer supported.
General questions What editions are offered for Dragon for Mac Medical, v5?
We will continue to offer similar editions of Dragon for Mac Medical in v5 as we did for Dragon Dictate for Mac Medical, v4. This includes:
– Dragon for Mac Medical
– Dragon for Mac Medical Wireless—includes a Bluetooth® headset
– Dragon for Mac Medical upgrade for existing v3 and v4 users
What is new in Dragon for Mac Medical, v5?
– Support for OS X® El Capitan (10.11), in addition to OS X Yosemite (10.10) and OS X Mavericks (10.9)
– Updated medical vocabularies deliver improved recognition and accuracy for over 90 medical specialties
– Improved accuracy over version 4.x (up to 15% out of the box accuracy improvement), with optimization for the latest speech recognition technology
– Improved support for internal microphones built into all MacBook®, MacBook Air®, MacBook Pro®, and iMac® computers for high “out-of-the box” accuracy without training
– Enhanced support for more accents
– Support for Word 2016 with Full Text Control and built-in commands
– Save transcribed files as Microsoft® Word documents
– Redesigned interface that’s even easier to use
– Menu walking: select items in any menu by voice
For detailed information, please see the “Dragon for Mac Medical What’s New” document.
Are you going to continue selling Dragon Dictate Medical for Mac, v4?
We are discontinuing Dragon Dictate Medical for Mac, v4 immediately. Dragon for Mac Medical, v5 offers all the same capabilities and more, and we encourage existing v3 or v4 users to upgrade to see the benefits v5 offers.
Are you going to continue supporting Dragon Dictate Medical for Mac, v3 and v4 users?
Yes, we will continue to support these users.
What does Dragon for Mac Medical, v5 cost?
Dragon for Mac Medical, v5 offers the same pricing as before, starting at $999. Existing users of Dragon Dictate Medical for Mac, v3 or v4 with a valid installation will receive special upgrade pricing starting at $499.
What languages does Dragon for Mac Medical, v5 support?
Dragon for Mac Medical, v5 is currently available in English. It supports US English and UK English medical vocabularies.
Is the license for one copy of Dragon for Mac Medical, v5 for one computer? Can more than one clinician use a copy of Dragon for Mac Medical, v5?
No. For newer editions of Dragon desktop products, including Dragon for Mac Medical, v5, the license is per user (not per machine). A separate license must be purchased for each additional clinician whose voice profile or voice profiles is or are being used by the software. Each clinician must have his/her own license of Dragon. Each individual licensed user, however, is permitted to create and use multiple voice profiles, and these voice profiles can be stored on one or more computers. For more details please refer to the EULA (End User License Agreement), available upon request or when the product is installed.
What OS does Dragon for Mac Medical, v5 support?
OS X El Capitan (10.11), OS X Yosemite (10.10) and OS X Mavericks (10.9).
What if I have OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)?
Users of OS X Mountain Lion (10.8) may upgrade through the Mac App Store.
Can I use my own microphone or built-in microphone with Dragon for Mac Medical, v5?
Dragon for Mac Medical, v5 offers enhanced freedom and flexibility through improved support for internal microphones. With Dragon for Mac Medical, v5 you can dictate documents and speak commands directly into microphones built into all MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and iMac computers without using a headset. Alternatively, you can use a Nuance-approved headset microphone or a Bluetooth wireless mic.See support.nuance.com/ compatibility for more information.
Does Dragon for Mac Medical, v5 support Apple Pages 5.0?
You can use Dragon for Mac Medical, v5 to dictate into Apple® Pages® 5.x. However, certain features such as Full Text Control and commands are not supported. This is due to the fact that Apple Pages 5.x has limited support for AppleScript®.
Which EHR does Dragon for Mac Medical, v5 support?
Dragon for Mac Medical, v5 is integrated with Full Text Control in MacPractice, v5, the leading EHR on the Mac platform, and can generate speech-to-text in any EHR (software or web/cloud-based) after placing the cursor in the desired field.
Does Dragon for Mac Medical, v5 have a “General English” vocabulary?
Dragon for Mac Medical, v5 includes a “General English” vocabulary that can achieve greater accuracy when dictating outside of medical work.
Is Dragon for Mac Medical, v5 HIPAA compliant?
Dragon for Mac Medical, v5 helps healthcare providers maintain the critical requirement of HIPAA patient confidentiality, by encrypting and keeping all information relevant to dictation services encrypted and on the local machine.
What do I need to know about vocabularies?
Dragon for Mac Medical, v5 contains more than 90 medical specialty and subspecialty vocabularies. If a specialty is not listed, users should choose either the general medicine or the specialty vocabulary that is closest to the desired specialty.
What are the differences between Language and Accent and Vocabulary?
“Language” covers the spelling and formatting of postal codes, addresses, telephone numbers, units of measure, etc. specific to the selected country. Choose “Language” based on what geographic area is most appropriate for your dictation, despite whatever accent you may have. You can always customize as needed. The English software comes with a choice of US or UK English. “Accent” is specific to you and how you talk. If you live in the United States but speak with a British accent, choose US “Language” and British “Accent”. Dragon for Mac Medical, v5’s acoustic models will work best if they know what accent you have before you begin. “Vocabulary” is your medical specialty. By selecting one from more than 90 options to best suit your needs or practice, the most comprehensive vocabulary list for your medical specialty is pre-installed and ready for your dictation.
What if I practice more than one type of medicine and want to use more than one medical vocabulary?
You can create more than one user profile—one for each specialty, based on that specialty vocabulary. When you switch between medical specialties, switch profiles to maximize accuracy so Dragon for Mac Medical, v5 can engage the appropriate vocabulary.
What are the differences between Dragon for Mac Medical, v5 and Dragon for Mac, v5?
Dragon for Mac Medical, v5 is built on the same base platform as Dragon for Mac, v5 and has almost all of the same benefits, features and functionality of Dragon for Mac, v5 except we have removed social media sharing in order to comply with HIPAA guidelines and added explicit support for MacPractice. There is also no Dragon Anywhere integration in Dragon for Mac Medical, v5. Dragon for Mac Medical, v5— unlike Dragon for Mac, v5— includes Dragon Medical Practice Edition’s medical vocabularies and acoustic models to achieve greater accuracy and higher quality clinical documentation using medical terminology and vocabularies covering more than 90 medical specialties and subspecialties.
What if I want to use Dragon Anywhere with Dragon for Mac Medical, v5?
Dragon Anywhere can be used as a separate mobile application, however it will not automatically sync custom words and auto-texts with Dragon for Mac Medical, v5. You can manually import and export custom words and auto-texts to and from Dragon Anywhere if desired, however Dragon Anywhere is not intended for use in a medical environment.